Tuesday, April 17, 2012

dawn patrol with 8 lanes


We went to bed with wave predictions in our heads and Ian, Stephan, Joshua and I agreed to meet at the pier for a “Dawn Patrol” to check a few breaks. The wind had stopped enough to clean things up and we went out for another session. Because Stephan and Ian live in OB, they did not feel like going out – as for me these were the best Pacific waves I've been able to ride since my honeymoon in Mexico 18 years ago. They were not as powerful as the first day we went out, but what they lacked in power they made up for in form. As the tide started to go out, we knew as well that we had to head in. Everyone in the room was already packed when we got back, and as we finished our loading up routine, we started feeling back to normal. Lord willing we'll be back some day to visit and soak in more- for now it was time to start going north. We made our way through the Joys of LA traffic, and thankfully had no major slow downs. We watched the mountains start turning green (and orange) and then we slowly started reached the sierras and our pitstop destination Mariposa an hour outside Yosemite National Park. Its an old miner town that goes back to the gold rush, and we're getting to know it as we stay for the next two nights.
-Joseph-





My day started with Dad shaking me and saying “it is time to wake up” then I remembered I'm going bodyboarding. In twenty minutes we were down at the beach watching the waves. The worst part of the morning was putting on the cold and damp wetsuit. Once in the water though that all changed. My first ride was my best with a four foot wave and I had gotten on the face of the wave and was able to ride for 50 feet. Later on I was trying to catch a bigger wave when it all broke at once on top of me. For ½ a second the water was pitching out in front of me and for that short moment I was in the barrel of the wave. Heading in to shore I was cold and partly ready for the drive ahead of us. I said “partly” because I would still have enjoyed to stay longer in Ocean Beach California.
-Joshua-


now I know why there are so many songs about leaving LA.  thankfully we are a high occupancy vehicle....







1 comment:

  1. Umm... that is a lot of burger options.

    I just saw the movie 'Soul Surfer' last night and now this morning I see these pictures of Josh and Joseph in the waves. It looks like so much fun! I can see why you didn't want to leave Josh!

    ReplyDelete