Monday, April 9, 2012

all things altitude



This morning I woke up feeling nautious , dizzy and weak - not fun when you have days of travelling ahead of you. I forced myself to eat a piece of toast and kept my eyes away from the biscuits and gravy. We started our trip to the National Petrified Forest in Arizona, the closer we came the better I started feeling. When we entered the park we were given a map of the Park and it was there that I read about high altitude sickness – which is what I had! We have been at an altitude of almost 7000 feet and symptoms of this are exactly what I experienced. As the day progressed my symptoms disappeared and as I type now I'm feeling fine – thank you Lord. After a few hours of driving through the park we continued on to Flagstaff, Arizona which is where we are now. We've travelled the historic route 66, the kids have spotted some shops that look like the ones from the movie Cars. It's a quaint tourist town (especially the historic section) we walked through parts of it this evening. Thankfully all the “Trading Posts” were closed :) After a yummy supper of pizza at local Fratelli's we are all ready for bed. Tomorrow is the Grand Canyon!
-Katrina-



at the petrified forest national park we also had the chance to view the  site of Pueblo village from 1280 AD



walking on the "badlands" trail, the first thing we noticed was the wind stopped, and the temperature increased.....



Isaiah and Samuel are anxious to try out their new jackknives in the hotel parking lot.....






















































Today we went to the petrified forest, and I got a jackknife with my name on it in the gift shop. I enjoyed looking at the petrified wood and rock formations. On the badlands trail it was very hot and dry. Every day this trip we have seen a train and they are very long. The longest train was 150 cars long! I am excited about the rest of the trip.  

-Isaiah-

This pizza was called "The 66" it had roasted red peppers, green chillies, red onions, chicken, bbq sauce, mozzerella and southwestern cheddar...served piping hot to a bunch hungry tourists!

 

3 comments:

  1. 7000 feet that is high. I am at 8000 so you are close to the same altitue as I am at now. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I am enjoying reading along. Continue to be blesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving seeing all these sights through your photographs! I can imagine it must be absolutely amazing to see in real life! Glad you're feeling better Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are having a great time, but since you are missing many spanish lessons here is one of Yuslenis' favorite songs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9cCPQVPv8o&feature=colike

    JyY

    ReplyDelete